- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon miniature semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 3/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon coarse sugar
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup hot fudge ice cream topping
- 10 fresh strawberries or grated chocolate, optional
- Grated chocolate, optional
- Combine strawberries and 1/3 cup sugar; refrigerate if desired. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and remaining sugar. Cut in butter and 2/3 cup chips until crumbly. Add half-and-half and stir until just moistened.
- Divide dough into 8 patties, about 3/4-in. thick. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Brush with egg white; sprinkle with coarse sugar and remaining chips.
- Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat whipping cream and confectioners' sugar until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate.
- To assemble, split shortcakes in half. Place cake bottoms on dessert plates. Top with about two-thirds of the strawberries, whipped cream and fudge topping. Replace shortcake tops; top with remaining berries, cream and topping. Garnish with chocolate if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Strawberry Shortcakes
"After reading your comments we took this recipe back to the Test Kitchen. We've reduced the oven temperature and increased the bake time to provide more consistent results.Sue StetzelTaste of Home Magazine"
"450 is about 50-100 degrees to hot - they burned and over 1/2 of them ended up in the trash. The parts we were able to salvage were really delicious. We had them with raspberries and homemade whipped cream-YUMMY. I will try again at a much lower temperature."
"I made this with a brownie mix instead since I was short on time and it was DIVINE!!!! Pure heaven! I will absolutely make again using the shortcakes just to see if I like them as well as the brownies."
"I made these today and the taste was good but the bottoms burned. I think 450 is too high of heat, I even reduced the cooking time by 2 minutes. Also, they did not puff up enough to split in half."
"delicious and easy, great with fresh raspberries instead of the strawberries"
"So, I made the best cookies by mistake! While making the recipe, I accidently put in 1 cup of half and half instead of 3/4 cup. The batter came out loose. I figured out what I did, so I gently added about 1 cup of extra flour until batter resembled muffin mix. I used my ice cream scoop and placed them on parchment paper bake sheets, about five inches apart. I'm telling you, sisters in the kitchen-hood, they made the biggest, softest cookies! We used just one for short cake and are haveing one tonight by themselves with a glass of cold milk."
"OMG! Amazing! Love, love, love it. Will be making this again in the very near future."