Chocolate Sticky Buns
My husband, Randy, and I are chocoholics, so this recipe has become a favorite. The fudge-like topping pairs well with the chocolate-cinnamon filling.
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, egg and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and cocoa in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Pour into two greased 9-in. round or square baking pans; sprinkle with pecans. Set aside.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle; brush with melted butter. Combine the sugar, cocoa and cinnamon; sprinkle over rectangles to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each roll into nine slices; place, cut side down, over syrup and pecans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until well browned. Cool for 1 minute before inverting onto serving platters.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 426 calories, 21g fat (9g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 279mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Sticky Buns in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.