VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, egg and 1-1/2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, for syrup, combine the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and cocoa in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 1 minute. Pour into two greased 9-in. round or square baking pans; sprinkle with pecans. Set aside.
- For filling, combine the sugar, cocoa and cinnamon; set aside. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Roll each into a 12-in. x 10-in. rectangle; brush with melted butter. Sprinkle filling to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side; pinch seam to seal. Cut each into nine slices; place, cut side down, over syrup and pecans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until well browned. Cool in pans for 1 minute before inverting onto serving plates. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Sticky Buns in Best of Country Breads 2000, p87