Chocolate Sponge Cake
Every bite of this cake has a mild chocolate flavor that will appeal to all palates. Enjoy it dusted with confectioners' sugar or topped with Rich 'n' Fluffy Chocolate Frosting on page 140.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing Bake: 55 min.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Let eggs stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks until slightly thickened and lemon-colored, about 5 minutes. Stir in orange juice and vanilla until combined. Gradually beat in 1 cup sugar on low speed, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat on high until mixture thickens and nearly doubles in volume. Combine the flour and cocoa. Fold a fourth of the flour mixture into the yolk mixture. Repeat with remaining flour mixture; set aside.
- In a large bowl and with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar in medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, about 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into the yolk mixture; fold in remaining whites.
- Pour into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 325° for 55-60 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely. Run a knife around sides and center tube of pan; remove cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 184 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 32mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Sponge Cake in Taste of Home's Complete Guide to Baking
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.