My husband really enjoys this delightful cake. Eye-catching enough for a special occasion, this is so good you’ll want it any day of the week. —Karen Sue Garback-Pristera, Albany, New York
Featured In: 25 Light Chocolate Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons brewed coffee, room temperature, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons baking cocoa, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and 1/2 cup coffee. Combine the flour, 1/4 cup baking cocoa, cinnamon, baking soda, allspice, salt and cloves; gradually beat into creamed mixture until blended. Fold in raisins and walnuts.
- Pour into a 10-in. fluted tube pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar and remaining baking cocoa and coffee; drizzle over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Raisin-Nut Chocolate Cake in Healthy Cooking April/May 2010, p50
Reviews forChocolate Spice Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 20, 2010
"Made this cake yesterday and everyone enjoyed it completely. I will definitely make this one again."