Chocolate Shoofly Pie
This is an old Pennsylvania Dutch favorite that my family enjoys because it's not as sweet as some desserts. I love baking this reliable recipe, but I also like trying new ones.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1-1/3 cups boiling water
- 1 can (16 ounces) chocolate syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, divided
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 unbaked deep-dish pie crust (9 inches)
- In a small bowl, stir together water, chocolate syrup and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda; set aside. In a large bowl, blend flour, sugar, butter and remaining baking soda; reserve 1 cup for topping.
- Place pie crust on a baking sheet. Pour 1 cup of chocolate syrup mixture into shell; gently combine rest of chocolate syrup mixture with remaining crumb mixture and add to pie crust. Sprinkle reserved crumbs on top.
- Bake at 375° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 439 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 343mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Shoofly Pie in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.