I love to experiment with different recipes and combine classic and new flavors. I've been making this shortbread for over 20 years and finally have found the perfect pairing! I love the new craze, salted caramel, and of course I love dark chocolate, so I layered these two flavors with my favorite shortbread crust. It's melt-in-your-mouth good, and it is quickly becoming a favorite with my family, friends and customers! For even more gooey goodness, drizzle bottled caramel sauce over top. —Lisa Glenn, Sarasota, Florida
Recommended: 44 of Our Most Gooey Caramel Desserts
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter, sugars and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour, mixing well.
- Press 3 cups of dough onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. pan Bake until set, 20-22 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt caramels with cream over low heat until smooth. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with salt, then chocolate chips. Drop remaining dough over top by teaspoonfuls. Bake until light golden brown, 30-35 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Salted Caramel Bars in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2017, p204