- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a small bowl, mix cracker crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto bottom and 1/2 in. up sides of an ungreased 9-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place chocolate and butter in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate and butter; let stand 5 minutes. Stir with a whisk until smooth. Pour into prepared tart shell. Refrigerate 1 hour or until set. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- In top of a double boiler or a metal bowl over simmering water, combine egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. Beat on low speed 1 minute. Continue beating on low until a thermometer reads 160°, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; beat on high until stiff glossy peaks form and mixture is slightly cooled, about 5 minutes.
- Spread meringue over tart. If desired, heat meringue with a kitchen torch or broil 2 in. from heat until meringue is lightly browned, 30-45 seconds. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forChocolate S'mores Tart
"This tart is so sinfully rich and delicious! After keeping it in the frig. for awhile it becomes like a fudge tart! Absolutely decadent! The whole family loved it!"