Chocolate Ring Cake
Black walnuts add a flavor twist to this scrumptious, from-scratch cake. I loved to lick the remnants of the sweet, chocolate frosting from Mom's stainless steel bowl. —Joann Jensen (daughter), Lowell, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + cooling Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups black walnuts
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small bowl, stir chocolate and boiling water until chocolate is melted; cool for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and chocolate mixture.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in walnuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan, combine the butter, milk, sugar, chocolate, corn syrup and salt. Cook and stir over low heat until blended. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Beat with a mixer for 15 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. Refrigerate until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost top and sides of cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 614 calories, 39g fat (13g saturated fat), 87mg cholesterol, 558mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Ring Cake in Taste of Home December/January 2009
Jan 21, 2009
I followed the directions to the letter, and was very disappointed with the end result. Very dry. My 8 guests agreed. I hate to waste food, but I tossed out the remaining cake.