Chocolate Raspberry Layer Cake
This recipe pulls together some of my favorite flavors. It's delicious, practically foolproof and looks beautiful. Impress dinner guests with this pretty cake.—Robert Ulis, Alexandria, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/3 cup raspberry jam or preserves
- Bake cake according to package directions, using two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave or double boiler, melt chocolate chips; stir in milk and extract. Fold in whipped topping. Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with raspberry jam. Top with second cake layer. Frost top and sides with chocolate topping. Store in the refrigerator.
Originally published as Chocolate Raspberry Layer Cake in Taste of Home December/January 1999
Aug 2, 2010
very quick and easy to make.
May 26, 2008
The frosting tastes great, however it is extremely dry. I think there is an ingredient missing. I added 3 T milk and it turned out creamy enough to spread.