VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups chocolate graham cracker crumbs (about 14 whole crackers)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- Chopped glazed walnuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased 11-in. fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Place pan on a baking sheet; bake 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack. Increase oven setting to 375°.
- Meanwhile, beat pumpkin, sugar and cream cheese until blended. Beat in next six ingredients. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Transfer 3/4 cup filling to a small bowl; whisk in cocoa.
- Pour pumpkin filling into crust. Transfer chocolate mixture to a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe 4 concentric circles 1 in. apart over filling. Beginning with center circle, gently pull a knife through all four circles toward outer edge. Wipe knife clean. Repeat to complete spiderweb pattern.
- Bake until set, 28-33 minutes. Cool 1 hour; refrigerate overnight. If desired, serve with glazed walnuts. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Pumpkin Spider Tart in Ultimate Halloween 2014 2014, p90