Chocolate Pumpkin Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 70 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (16 slices each)
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 2/3 cup water
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, pumpkin, water and oil; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Stir in chocolate chips and almonds.
- Pour into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Wrap in foil and freeze for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen bread: Thaw at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 242 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 169mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Oct 13, 2014
I baked this pumpkin bread recipe last night for my in-laws to have as dessert after dinner. I used half white sugar and half brown sugar, for what ever reason. It turned out good in flavor but had an odd texture, almost like a custard. It almost didn't seem baked all the way but definitely was. Any thoughts. Maybe the brown sugar added too much moisture?
Dec 24, 2013
I'm baking it with just 2 c sugar and no water added. HMy own high altitude & sweetness adjustments. ;)
Nov 19, 2013
Waaaay too sweet! It was actually sticky from all the sugar. Will not make this again, it was a waste of good chocolate, pumpkin and nuts.
Nov 7, 2013
Good! I used mini-chocolate chips. That worked better for my family!
Sep 16, 2012
This is a good tasting bread . Will make again. I did not put in the almonds. I thought the chocolate chips was enough .
Jun 11, 2012
This is one of our favorite recipes!
Oct 25, 2011
YUM! Great with whole wheat flour.~ Theresa
Oct 14, 2011
absolutely delicious! not too heavy; good balance of pumpkin with the chocolate chips and almonds. I toasted my own almonds (bought them pre-sliced, spread in a single layer on baking sheet, baked in 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes stirring every few). glad I did! coworkers loved it
Dec 6, 2010
The only problem with the bread is that the almonds (mixed with the taste of the pumpkin) made it seem like I was eating tree bark. I would also suggest editing the recipe to only have one loaf. I don't have two loaf pans!
Nov 6, 2010
This was delicious, but I had a little bit of trouble with it being too crumbly and falling apart. Any suggestions?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.