“A rich chocolate coating accented with crushed peppermint makes these pretzels hard to resist,“ says Karen Nemeth of Calgary, Alberta. “My grandkids and I love making them together!“
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup white baking chips
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll each into a 7-in. rope. On greased baking sheets, form each rope into a pretzel shape, placing 2 in. apart.
- Bake 8-9 minutes or until firm. Cool1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar and water until smooth. Dip pretzels in glaze; allow excess to drip off.
- Place on waxed paper. Melt vanilla chips; drizzle over half of the pretzels. Let stand until completely set. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 118 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 79mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.