“A rich chocolate coating accented with crushed peppermint makes these pretzels hard to resist,“ says Karen Nemeth of Calgary, Alberta. “My grandkids and I love making them together!“
Recommended: 25 Light Chocolate Dessert Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup vanilla or white chips
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter, shortening and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll each into a 7-in. rope. On greased baking sheets, form each rope into a pretzel shape, placing 2 in. apart. Bake at 375° for 8-9 minutes or until firm. Cool for 1 minute before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar and water until smooth. Dip pretzels in glaze; place on waxed paper. Melt vanilla chips; drizzle over half of the pretzels. Let stand until completely set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Pretzels in Taste of Home December/January 2006, p18