Chocolate-Peppermint Sandwich Cookies
Chocolate and mint make a great holiday pair. Try them in this sandwich cookie with crushed candy canes on top. —Evangeline Bradford, Erlanger, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + standing
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1 tube (16-1/2 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup plus 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon canola oil
- 8 candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place cookie dough in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 5-10 minutes to soften. Add flour to cookie dough; beat until blended.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place 2/3 cup chocolate chips in a small bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; stir with a whisk until smooth. Stir in extract. Refrigerate until mixture reaches a spreading consistency, about 30 minutes. Spread filling on bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies.
- In a microwave, melt remaining chocolate chips with oil; stir until smooth. Dip tops of cookies in chocolate mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Immediately sprinkle with crushed candies; let stand until set. Refrigerate leftovers.
Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers. To use, thaw cookies in covered containers. Fill and decorate as directed.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 224 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Peppermint-Chocolate Sandwich Cookies in Simple & Delicious December/January 2014