Chocolate Peppermint Candies
The cool mint filling in these patties makes them especially delicious. Friends often request that I bring them to parties.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + standing
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 4 to 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 cups (18 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- In a bowl, combine milk and extract. Stir in 3-1/2 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar to form a stiff dough. Turn onto a surface sprinkled lightly with confectioners' sugar. Knead in enough remaining sugar to form a dough that is very stiff and no longer sticky. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Flatten into 1-1/2-in. circles. Let dry 1 hour. Turn and let dry 1 hour longer. Melt chocolate chips and shortening in a double boiler or microwave-safe bowl; cool slightly. Dip patties in chocolate mixture and place on waxed paper to harden.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 142 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 2mg cholesterol, 10mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Peppermint Candies in Country Woman Christmas 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.