Guests make sure to save room for this light and moist cake with its refreshing mint flavor and chocolate glaze. Its seasonal look makes it perfect for Christmas...a holiday birthday party...or other festive gatherings!
Recommended: Top 10 Peppermint Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 2/3 cup crushed peppermint candy, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add milk, oil, eggs and vanilla; beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, beat cream until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, vanilla and food coloring if desired; beat until stiff peaks form. Set aside about 1 tablespoon crushed candy. Fold remaining candy into cream mixture. Spread between layers and around sides but not over the top.
- For glaze, melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add cocoa and water; cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; whisk in vanilla. Gradually blend in sugar until smooth. Add additional water if necessary. Spread over top of cake. Sprinkle with reserved candy. Chill before serving. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Peppermint Cake in Country Woman Christmas 1996, p21
Reviews forChocolate Peppermint Cake
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review