Chocolate Pecan Dreams
This recipe began as the base for a peanut butter chocolate thumbprint. I liked it so much, though, I decided to turn it into its own cookie recipe. —Becky Tarzlaff, Newton, Kansas
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1-1/3 cups shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, separated
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls. Beat egg whites until foamy. Dip each ball halfway into egg whites, then in pecans. Place pecan side up 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Flatten slightly with a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until firm. Carefully remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 197 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.