Chocolate Peanut Butter Chews
"I'm always searching for good recipes to use in the microwave," relates Sharan Williams of Spanish Fork, Utah. "These thick, rich and chocolaty bars are oh-so-good served warm."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 4-1/2 teaspoons milk
- In a bowl, combine the condensed milk, peanut butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips and oats. Spread into an 8-in. square microwave-safe dish; shield corners with small triangles of foil. Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 7-1/2 minutes. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool slightly; remove foil. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine milk and the remaining vanilla and chocolate chips. Microwave on high for 20-30 seconds or until chocolate is melted. Stir; spread over bars.
Shielding with small pieces of oil prevents overcooking of food in the corners of a square or rectangular dish. This is the only time foil should be used in the microwave, but you should check your manufacturer's instructions before doing so. Secure foil firmly to dish and do not allow it to touch insides of oven.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 259 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Chews in Quick Cooking March/April 1999