"I'm always searching for good recipes to use in the microwave," relates Sharan Williams of Spanish Fork, Utah. "These thick, rich and chocolaty bars are oh-so-good served warm."
Recommended: 45 Recipes for Peanut Butter Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 4-1/2 teaspoons milk
- In a bowl, combine the condensed milk, peanut butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, 1-1/2 cups chocolate chips and oats. Spread into an 8-in. square microwave-safe dish; shield corners with small triangles of foil. Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 7-1/2 minutes. Microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool slightly; remove foil. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine milk and the remaining vanilla and chocolate chips. Microwave on high for 20-30 seconds or until chocolate is melted. Stir; spread over bars. Yield: 16 bars.
Originally published as Chocolate Chews in Quick Cooking March/April 1999, p51