Chocolate Peanut Bars
From West Covina, California, Carol Johnson shares her homemade version of the popular Baby Ruth candy bar.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 7 cups cornflakes
- 1 can (12 ounces) salted peanuts
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In a large saucepan, combine corn syrup and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; add peanut butter and mix well. Stir in the cornflakes and peanuts. Press into a greased 15x10x1-in. pan.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and shortening; pour over bars and quickly spread evenly. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until set before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 258 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 140mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Peanut Bars in Taste of Home February/March 1998