A mild chocolate-flavored meringue is topped with a colorful, fresh, red and green fruit topping.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 medium kiwifruit, peeled, halved and sliced
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Add the vinegar, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in cocoa and chocolate.
- Spread into a 9-in. circle on prepared pan, forming a shallow well in the center. Bake at 250° for 45-55 minutes or until set and dry. Turn off oven and do not open door; leave meringue in oven for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, combine raspberries and strawberries. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon liqueur; toss gently to coat. In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add confectioners' sugar and remaining liqueur; beat until soft peaks form.
- Top meringue with berries. Arrange kiwi over berries; top with whipped cream. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 276 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 114mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Chocolate Pavlova with Grand Marnier Whipped Cream in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2011