Chocolate Oatmeal Stars
Fans of oatmeal cookies will love this variation that combines oats, chocolate and coconut. These star-shaped cookies "shine" wherever I take them!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, finely chopped
- Colored sugar or nonpareils
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Stir in melted chocolate chips. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats and coconut. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. star-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar or nonpareils.
- Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 113 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 92mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Oatmeal Stars in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.