VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, finely chopped
- Colored sugar or nonpareils
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and extracts. Stir in melted chocolate chips. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in oats and coconut. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. star-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Sprinkle with colored sugar or nonpareils.
- Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Oatmeal Stars in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p50