Chocolate Oatmeal Sandwiches
I sometimes divide the batter in half, stir in 1/4 cup baking cocoa to one portion and make golden cookies with the remaining portion. Then I sandwich a golden cookies with a chocolate.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 2-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, combine the chocolate chips, milk and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until chips are melted. Remove from the heat; beat in vanilla. Spread on the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 414 calories, 22g fat (13g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 352mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Oatmeal Sandwiches in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.