- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, cream 1 cup butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and 2 teaspoons vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, 1 teaspoon salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Press two-thirds of oat mixture into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk, chocolate chips, salt and remaining butter. Cook and stir over low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in walnuts and remaining vanilla. Spread over the crust. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares. Yield: 4 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate Oat Squares
"These were good! I made them without nuts to keep a boy happy, but I think I would have liked them more WITH nuts. I'll do an adult version with nuts sometime."
"These are wonderful! Made exactly as posted--wouldn't change a thing. Thanks so much for sharing."
"Very tasty. Shared with a large group and they loved them."
"These squares are excellent! I have baked them many times and receive compliments each time I take them somewhere. They travel well and freeze well. They are quite dense and can be cut in small squares to serve many. The only change I have made is that I sometimes use pecans in place of walnuts as they are a favorite of mine."
"I've made these over and over again. My family and friends love these. Thanks for the recipe."
"sorry, I forgot to add my rating :-)"
"My kids have loved this recipie since I first made it many years ago. They request that I make these bars every year at Christmas. I love them too. At my home we leave out the Walnuts because when I first made this recipie probably 7 or 8 years ago I wasn't sure if my kids would like the nuts in. So we have never had them with the nuts."
"I have made these squares many times and everyones loves them. They are easy and delicious."