Chocolate Oat Snack Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-3/4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips, divided
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In a small bowl, combine water and oats; let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in oat mixture. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in 1 cup chips.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with walnuts and remaining chips. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 383 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Oct 30, 2017
This cake is very moist and has great flavor, which surprised me, since it uses so little cocoa. I loved it, and so did everyone at church. They ate almost all of it.
Apr 12, 2014
Great recipe! Easy, tasty, and uses on-hand ingredients! Fabulous!
Aug 13, 2011
I really like this recipe....it's easy and yet so impressive. Yummy! :)
Mar 4, 2011
A moist, dense cake. We liked it. I'm going to try different nuts next time. My daughter wants me to try toasting marshmallows on top next time -- kind of a rocky road thing ? ? ?
Sep 8, 2009
My mother loves this cake. It's really easy to make, and delicious too. It's light, and spongy, and comes out perfect every time. It's delicous with ice cream. The chocolate chips and nuts on top add the perfect sweetness to this great cake.
Mar 21, 2009
Easy, excellent cake to make for any occassion! Everyone loves it. I enjoy the fact that I use oats in it. I tell everyone that it is healthy!Bette Boop
Oct 15, 2008
excellent, moist deliciously chocolatey! Very easy and a hit everywhere I have taken it.