Chocolate Oat Cake
My mother gave me the recipe for this moist, fudgy cake. I like to make it because it's quick and doesn't need frosting, and it's also a family favorite. I am a cook at an elementary school and also help husband Denny on our farm. We and our three sons are active in 4-H.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 cup quick-cooking or rolled oats
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Place oatmeal and butter in a large bowl; pour water over and let cool for 20 minutes. Add cocoa and beat well. Beat in sugars, eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to batter.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes of until cake tests done.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 345 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 319mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Oat Cake in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.