Chocolate Oat Cake
My mother gave me the recipe for this moist, fudgy cake. I like to make it because it's quick and doesn't need frosting, and it's also a family favorite. I am a cook at an elementary school and also help husband Denny on our farm. We and our three sons are active in 4-H.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 cup quick-cooking or rolled oats
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1-1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup (6 ounces) chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- Place oatmeal and butter in a large bowl; pour water over and let cool for 20 minutes. Add cocoa and beat well. Beat in sugars, eggs and vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; add to batter.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes of until cake tests done.