Chocolate-Nut Pinwheel Cookies
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Divide dough in half; add almonds and almond extract to one portion. Add cocoa to remaining portion.
- Roll out each portion between two sheets of waxed paper into a 16x8-in. rectangle. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Remove waxed paper. Place almond layer over chocolate dough. Roll up tightly, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate overnight or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 9-11 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 46 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 29mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Mar 25, 2015
I loved the almond flavor in these.
Dec 28, 2014
Made these for the first time. So easy and so good! Rolled out very easy and were not hard at all!DELICIOUS!!!
Dec 27, 2014
These cookies taste good, look good, and the dough rolled out and rolled up well. However, we found the cookies to be very dense and hard after they were baked. Good for dunking maybe....Could it be that the dough is overworked by the time they are formed? I don't think I overbaked them.
Dec 10, 2014
Very good recipe. I like almond flavoring a lot so I would increase the almond flavoring to one teaspoon.
Dec 10, 2014
The dough was almost impossible to work with. This cookie is not worth the trouble to make.
Nov 25, 2013
Impressive looking and very tasty. Has been added to my must make cookie list for Christmas.
Jul 20, 2012
Me and my five kids have ALWAYS baked these wonderful and fun-to-bake cookies in December. If they are away from home for Christmas they still get a bunch of them from mom.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.