Chocolate Nut Fudge Rolls
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Cook: 25 min. + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/4 pounds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Add sugar, milk, honey and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and continue to boil for 2 minutes. Uncover and cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vinegar.
- Let cool to 110°. Add vanilla; beat vigorously until mixture thickens and loses it gloss, about 8-10 minutes. Turn onto a buttered baking sheet. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Knead for 2-3 minutes. Shape into 4x1-1/2-in. rolls. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; chill for 3-4 hours.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip rolls in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Roll in nuts. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets and chill until firm. Cut into 1/4-in. slices.
Nutrition Facts2 ounce-weight: 394 calories, 21g fat (6g saturated fat), 5mg cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Dec 14, 2014
I made two batches and both times, the mixture would not thicken and dull after beating and beating. It seems like there is too much honey. The second time, I let it cook a bit longer, just above 240.. This only made it crystallize.
Feb 16, 2010
This is one of the most popular things I make for christmas.Everyone raves about them.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.