- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- In a large heavy saucepan, melt butter and chocolate over low heat. Add sugar, milk, honey and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and continue to boil for 2 minutes. Uncover and cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; stir in vinegar. Let cool to 110°. Add vanilla; beat vigorously by hand until mixture thickens and loses it gloss, about 8-10 minutes. Turn onto a buttered baking sheet. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Knead for 2-3 minutes. Shape into 4-in. x 1-1/2-in. rolls. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets; chill for 3-4 hours. Melt chocolate chips and shortening in a double boiler or microwave-safe bowl. Dip rolls in chocolate; roll in nuts. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets and chill until firm. Cut into 1/4-in. slices. Yield: about 2-1/4 pounds.
Reviews forChocolate Nut Fudge Rolls
"I made two batches and both times, the mixture would not thicken and dull after beating and beating. It seems like there is too much honey. The second time, I let it cook a bit longer, just above 240.. This only made it crystallize."
"This is one of the most popular things I make for Christmas.Everyone raves about them."