Chocolate Nougat Cake
A wonderful lady who baby-sat me as a child gave me a recipe book of her handwritten specialties for a wedding gift. This one is my favorite.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
- SEVEN-MINUTE FROSTING:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar until fluffy. Blend in egg yolks and chocolate. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add alternately with milk to creamed mixture. stir in nuts. Beat egg whites with remaining sugar until stiff peaks form; fold gently into batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes. Cool in pans on a rack for 10 minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely.
- For frosting, combine all ingredients except vanilla in the top of a double boiler. With an electric mixer, beat on low for 30 seconds. Cook over boiling water for 7 minutes, beating constantly on high until stiff peaks form. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Beat 2-3 minutes or until frosting has a spreading consistency. Frost cake.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 342 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 227mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (46g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Nougat Cake in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.