People will think you fussed over these impressive desserts from Roberta Strohmaier of Lebanon, New Jersey. She uses frozen puff pastry for the flaky shells and dresses up pudding mix for the yummy chocolate filling.
Recommended: 45 Recipes for Peanut Butter Lovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups cold milk
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 2 packages (3.9 ounces each) instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) semisweet chocolate, melted and cooled
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 12-in. square. With a sharp knife, cut into twelve 4-in. x 3-in. rectangles. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 400° for 9-12 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and sour cream until smooth. Add pudding mix; whisk for 2 minutes or until blended. Refrigerate for 5 minutes. To assemble, split each pastry in half. Spoon pudding mixture over bottom halves and replace tops. Combine confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth; drizzle over top. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Serve immediately. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Napoleons in Quick Cooking November/December 2003, p34