A pretty, tart cranberry sauce complements the sweet, fudgy mousse in this outstanding dessert from Barbara Nowakowski of North Tonowanda, New York. Make it the day before the party—how convenient!
Recommended: 78 Christmas Potluck Desserts for 12 or More
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CRANBERRY SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup cranberry juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg yolk, 1/4 cup cream and corn syrup. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir into chocolate mixture. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until cooled and slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Line a 1-qt. bowl with plastic wrap; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining cream until it begins to thicken. Add vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture. Spoon into prepared bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Place the sauce ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, invert mousse onto a platter; remove plastic wrap. Cut into wedges; serve with cranberry sauce. Yield: 10 servings (about 1 cup sauce).
Originally published as Chocolate Mousse with Cranberry Sauce in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2008, p58