Chocolate Mousse with Cranberry Sauce
A pretty, tart cranberry sauce complements the sweet, fudgy mousse in this outstanding dessert from Barbara Nowakowski of North Tonowanda, New York. Make it the day before the party—how convenient!
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
Makes10 servings (about 1 cup sauce)
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CRANBERRY SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup cranberry juice
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 cup jellied cranberry sauce
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg yolk, 1/4 cup cream and corn syrup. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches 160°, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir into chocolate mixture. Refrigerate for 20 minutes or until cooled and slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Line a 1-qt. bowl with plastic wrap; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat remaining cream until it begins to thicken. Add vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Fold into chocolate mixture. Spoon into prepared bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Place the sauce ingredients in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, invert mousse onto a platter; remove plastic wrap. Cut into wedges; serve with cranberry sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 405 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 63mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Pate with Cranberry Coulis in Country Woman Christmas 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.