Chocolate Mousse Torte
Although this mouse torte created by our Test Kitchen is very rich, people just can't seem to get enough of it. Decorated with melted chocolate and Chocolate Almond Pinecones, this is an impressive dessert.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + freezing
- 1-1/4 cups chocolate wafer crumbs (about 25 wafers)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
- 4 ounces white baking chocolate
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup water
- 5 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup half-and-half cream, warmed
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- Semisweet chocolate chips, melted and Chocolate Almond Pinecones, optional
- Combine the first three ingredients; press onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes. Cool. Place each flavor of chocolate in a separate bowl; set aside. In another bowl, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand for 1 minute or until softened.
- In a small bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed for 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually whisk in half-and-half.
- Transfer to a large saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until a thermometer reads 160° and mixture has thickened, about 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Immediately pour a third of the egg mixture over each flavor of chocolate; quickly stir each until melted. Cool for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold a third of the whipped cream into each bowl. Pour bittersweet chocolate mixture into prepared pan. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes. Repeat with milk chocolate mixture, then white chocolate mixture.
- To serve, carefully run a sharp a knife around edge of pan to loosen. Remove side of pan. Garnish if desired by drizzling with melted chocolate to create pine boughs and topping with chocolate Almond Pinecones.
Editor's Note: Torte can be prepared 2 days in advance. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 263 calories, 20g fat (11g saturated fat), 119mg cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 1, 2013
My Boss loves pine cones on anything and I would love to make this for her this Christmas, but I need help with the pine cones...HELP!
Dec 29, 2009
This was a big hit at my holiday party.