Chocolate Mousse Cakes
Fans of chocolate will fall head over heels for this decadent dessert. The recipe makes two cakes, so it's a wonderful choice for entertaining.—Lisa Angalich, Wheeling, West Virginia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makes2 cakes (8 servings each)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to two greased 9-in. tart pans with removable bottoms. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Pipe frosting over tops of cakes; sprinkle with grated chocolate. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 341 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 90mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Mousse Flan in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2010