Fans of chocolate will fall head over heels for this decadent dessert. The recipe makes two cakes, so it's a wonderful choice for entertaining.—Lisa Angalich, Wheeling, West Virginia
Recommended: Holiday Cheesecake Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-2/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, grated
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and baking powder; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to two greased 9-in. tart pans with removable bottoms. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Pipe frosting over tops of cakes; sprinkle with grated chocolate. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 2 cakes (8 servings each).
Originally published as Chocolate Mousse Cakes in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2010, p71