Chocolate Molasses Taffy
For an old-fashioned treat that's sure to get smiles from guests of all ages, try these individually wrapped squares of chocolaty taffy. Yum!—Suzan Wiener, Spring Hill, Florida
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Line an 8-in. square pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water, molasses and remaining butter. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook without stirring until a candy thermometer reads 260° (hard-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan. Cool slightly. Score the surface into small squares. Cool completely and cut along scored lines. Wrap candy in waxed paper. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 23 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 4mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Taffy in Country Woman Christmas 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.