Chocolate Mint Surprises
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 5 min./batch + freezing
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- MINT FILLING:
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pounds dark chocolate candy coating, melted
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add melted chocolate. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture and mix well. Shape into two 10-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, butter, milk and extracts until smooth. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. Place a ball in the center of each cookie; flatten. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Dip cookies in melted candy coating to completely cover; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 148 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 51mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 6, 2010
Easy but time consuming. Still a favourite from the first taste and a cookie I now make every year. Irresistible.
Nov 28, 2010
absolutely delicious and easy
Jan 3, 2010
Absolutely love them. Taste just like YORK peppermint candy which is one of my favorites. Easy to make.