- 3/4 cup butter (no substitutes), softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- MINT FILLING:
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 2 to 3 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pounds dark chocolate candy coating, melted
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add melted chocolate. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to chocolate mixture. Shape in two 10-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 5-7 minutes or until edges are firm. REmove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, in a bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, buttermilk and extracts until smooth. Shape into 1/2-in. balls. Place a ball in the center of each cookie; flatten. Freeze for 30 minutes. Dip cookies in melted candy coating to completely cover. Place on waxed paper until set. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Reviews forChocolate Mint Surprises
"absolutely delicious and easy"
"Absolutely love them. Taste just like YORK peppermint candy which is one of my favorites. easy to make."