Chocolate Mint Souffles
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon plus 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/8 teaspoon mint extract
- Confectioners' sugar
- Separate eggs. Place whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Place yolks in another bowl; set aside.
- Coat two 10-oz. ramekins or custard cups with cooking spray and lightly sprinkle with 1 teaspoon sugar; place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine 2 tablespoons sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; stir in chocolate chips and extract until chips are melted. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the bowl, stirring constantly. Cool slightly.
- Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form. With a spatula, fold a fourth of the egg whites into chocolate mixture until no white streaks remain. Fold in remaining egg whites until combined.
- Transfer to prepared ramekins. Bake at 375° for 18-22 minutes or until tops are puffed and centers are almost set. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 265 calories, 9g fat (3g saturated fat), 213mg cholesterol, 159mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Mar 25, 2011
It was very easy, and very good, although I didn't have any mint extract, so I used almond extract instead.
Mar 24, 2011
First time making a souffle - very good and easy.
Mar 17, 2011
Excellent but try substituting the chocolate chips with white chocolate. Wicked
Mar 6, 2011
This was my first-ever attempt at making chocolate souffles. It was really easy and fun. The finished product turned out great and was very tasty. This would be great to make for a date night or even just a nice treat for you and a friend.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.