Chocolate Mint Delights Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 bite-size chocolate-covered peppermint patties
- 18 bite-size chocolate-covered peppermint patties
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until easy to handle. Shape dough into two 6-in. rolls; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
- 2. Unwrap dough and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place one slice on waxed paper; top with a peppermint patty and a second dough slice. Press edges of dough together to completely cover the peppermint patty. Repeat.
- 3. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 11-13 minutes or until set, watching carefully. Cool for 5 minutes before removing to wire racks. For icing, in a microwave, melt peppermint patties and butter; stir until smooth. Drizzle over cookies. Yield: 2 dozen.
Editor's Note: This recipe was tested with Pearson's Mint Patties.
1 each: 261 calories, 11g fat (7g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 145mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (27g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.