Chocolate Meringues Recipe
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1. In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and stir until smooth; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Beat in vinegar and vanilla. Fold in melted chocolate until combined; fold in coconut and almonds.
- 2. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-11 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
2 each: 111 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 36mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Reviews for Chocolate Meringues
"These taste like a gooey brownie. Every Christmas I make these and they always devour in a day or two."