From the first time I baked these cookies, they've been a lip-smacking success. Old-fashioned and attractive, they make a perfect holiday pastry. I'm the grandmother of six and stay active with a German folk dance group.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Beat in vinegar and vanilla.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Fold into egg white mixture; fold in coconut and almonds.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-11 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 111 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 36mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.