From the first time I baked these cookies, they've been a lip-smacking success. Old-fashioned and attractive, they make a perfect holiday pastry. I'm the grandmother of six and stay active with a German folk dance group.
Recommended: 11 Recipes to Make with Chocolate Kisses
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Beat in vinegar and vanilla.
- Meanwhile, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Fold into egg white mixture; fold in coconut and almonds.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-11 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 2-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Chocolate Meringues in Country Woman March/April 2001, p31
Reviews forChocolate Meringues
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 8, 2010
"These taste like a gooey brownie. Every Christmas I make these and they always devour in a day or two."