Chocolate Meringue Torte
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 2 hours 20 min. + cooling
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 tablespoon toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- 1/2 ounce semisweet chocolate, shaved
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace two 8-in. circles 1 in. apart on paper; set aside. Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add cream of tartar; beat until soft peaks form. Sift confectioners' sugar and cocoa together 2 times; gently fold into batter. Fold in vanilla. Spread evenly over circles.
- Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn oven off and do not open door; let meringues dry for 1 hour.
- Remove from oven; cool on baking sheet. When completely cool, remove meringues from paper; store in an airtight container.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, then egg white, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in vinegar and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to batter alternately with buttermilk and water.
- Pour into two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray and floured. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread 1/2 cup whipped over cake layer; top with a meringue and another 1/2 cup topping. Top with second cake layer, 1/2 cup topping, second meringue and remaining topping. Sprinkle with toffee bits and shaved chocolate.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 362 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 225mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 28, 2009
made it for my sons 6th birthday, he hated the meringue...but my husband said that was the best part. Not overly sweet, I made twice as much whipped cream, and still could have used more, love the casual simplicity and of course all the chocolate!