- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup 1% buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1 tablespoon toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- 1/2 square (1/2 ounce) semisweet chocolate, shaved
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Trace two 8-in. circles 1 in. apart on paper; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Sift confectioners' sugar and cocoa over meringue; gently fold in. Fold in vanilla. Spread evenly over circles. Bake at 275° for 1 hour. Turn oven off and do not open door; let meringues dry for 1 hour. Remove from oven; cool on baking sheet. When completely cool, remove meringues from paper; store in an airtight container.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar for 2 minutes. Add egg, then egg white, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat on high speed until light and fluffy. Stir in vinegar and vanilla. Combine flour, cocoa and baking soda; add to batter alternately with buttermilk and water.
- Pour into two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray and floured. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. To assemble, spread 1/2 cup whipped topping over one cake layer; top with a meringue and another 1/2 cup topping. Top with second cake layer, 1/2 cup topping, second meringue and remaining topping. Sprinkle with toffee bits and shaved chocolate. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Meringue Torte
"made it for my sons 6th birthday, he hated the meringue...but my husband said that was the best part. Not overly sweet, I made twice as much whipped cream, and still could have used more, love the casual simplicity and of course all the chocolate!"