Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-3/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda. Add water, mayonnaise and vanilla; beat at medium speed until thoroughly combined.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square or an 11x7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done. Cool completely.
- For frosting, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in brown sugar; cook and stir until bubbly. Remove from the heat and stir in milk. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat by hand until frosting is of spreading consistency. Immediately frost cake.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise may not be substituted for regular mayonnaise in this recipe.
Reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 416 calories, 19g fat (4g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 354mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (42g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 17, 2018
Cake was bland, and frosting broke pastry bag
Feb 28, 2017
The cake isn't sweet enough and frosting way to thick to spread. Threw in the garbage.
Nov 10, 2015
Made this cake when my kids were young and forgot about it for years. Uses stuff we normally have in the cabinet and is real easy and tastes great. The brown sugar frosting takes this cake to the next level. Yum.
Jun 28, 2010
I have been baking this cake for some time with this recipe, my husband loves it and he normally does not like mayo!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.