- 1 cup water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- BROWN SUGAR FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the water, mayonnaise and vanilla until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda; gradually beat into mayonnaise mixture until blended.
- Pour into greased 9-in. square or 11x7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small saucepan. Cook and stir brown sugar in butter until bubbly. Remove from the heat; stir in milk. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cake. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Reviews forChocolate Mayonnaise Cake
"Made this cake last night and it is so very good and moist. I doubled the recipe first off, only cause I needed a larger cake, and I also used 1/4 cup cocoa instead of the 3 tablespoons. I found the icing to be a bit sweet but after icing the cake, it worked out perfectly. The cake is very chocolate tasting and not as sweet as you would think."
"This is my old original recipe from back in the 50's ,same ingredients , just a little difference in amts. chocolate Mayonnaise cake : 2 cups Flour ~1/2 cups Sugar ~ 11/2 tsp. Soda~11/2 tsp baking powder~6tbsp. Cocoa~1cup Cold water ~ 1 cup Mayonnaise ~ 2tsp Vanilla .~~ Icing ~ Bring to boil : 1 stick Margarine~ 3 tbsps Cocoa~ 6 tbsps Evaporated milk ~Move from heat , add 2 cups Powdered sugar ~ 1 tsp Vanilla~ 1/2 cup Chopped nuts . Pour over hot cake !! Delicious !!!"
"My grandma made this for our annual visit to her house! She frosted it with cream cheese icing! So moist and yummy!!!!"
"This is now my favorite go-to cake! Hubby and I love it!"
"Made cake for the first time. Just the right size cake for hubby and me. Icing is very good but cake needs lots more chocolate. Hardly tastes of chocolate. Three tablespoons of chocolate just not enough. Will make again and add about a fourth of a cup of cocoa (like some other recipes call for) plus a tsp. of coffee granules."